Journalism Specific Experience
The Clypian, South Salem High School’s Newspaper
- Editor-in-Chief (2019-present), News Editor (2018-2019), Reporter
- Managed a staff of 15-40 students at the largest student-run newspaper in the school district. Wrote and edited articles.
- Transitioned the Clypian’s work to fully online with the COVID-19 Pandemic, modernizing our website and revamping our social media (Twitter and Instagram).
- Featured in Washington Post, Vice News, the Oregonian, Nieman Foundation at Harvard, The Center For Public Integrity, SPLC, French TV, Russian newspaper, Salem Reporter, and more for coverage of the 2020 Portland protests.
- Spoke on MSNBC, FOX12, KGW, BBC radio, and more about the 2020 Portland protests.
- Photography/videography of protests licensed to ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, MSNBC, Reuters, Yahoo News, European Broadcasting Union, KATU, KGW, FOX12, and others.
- Attended National High School Journalism Convention (Chicago, 2018) and Oregon JEA’s Fall Media Day (2019, 2018).
Press Freedom Advocacy
- Declarant in class action lawsuit against federal government (Index Newspapers LLC v. City of Portland) documenting violations of civil rights as a student journalist during federal occupation of Portland, Oregon, in July 2020.
- Spoke on FOX11’s Good Day LA for Student Press Freedom Day 2021.
Select Awards & Accomplishments
Oregon JEA’s Journalist of the Year (2021)
Honor Roll (every semester)
TEDX Youth Speaker, “How Civics Can Save America”
First Amendment Press Freedom Award, Clypian won in 2019 and 2021
Black Belt, Taekwondo
Coca-Cola Scholar (2021)
National Merit Commended Scholar (2019 PSAT)
First Place Photography, Edward R. Murrow Journalism Competition (image of student protesters Parkland shooting)
2019 Student Media Olympics, 2 superiors, 2 honorable mentions
South Salem High School
(Expected Graduation June 2021)
- Unweighted GPA: 4.0
- International Baccalaureate [IB] Student, National Honors Society, National French Honors Society.
(Class of 2025)
- Accepted and committed to Georgetown’s School of Foreign Service, plans to Major in International Politics and Minor in Journalism.
- Facilitated and improved student outreach.
- Assisted with social media content creation.
- PSIA-AASI Alpine Level 1 certification.
- Taught people, mainly children between the ages of 4-6, to ski.
- Made ski lessons more palatable and fun for children to keep them engaged and excited.
- Helped with check-in and check-out, communicated with parents.
- Founding member of Live to Tell, a student-led, mental health awareness and suicide prevention nonprofit.
- Organized meeting with U.S. Senator Jeff Merkley.
- Invited speaker at iLEAD, youth mental health summit.
Oregon State Legislature — Head Intern
(June 2019 – November 2020)
- Documented constituent communications for Representative Paul Evans.
- Researched policies and data to help create legislation.
- Helped prepare legislation.
- Read, annotated, and summarized government reports.
Jory Hill Stables— Stable Hand
(August 2018- June 2020)
- Exercised and cleaned horses.
- Organized barn.
WordPress: website design
Adobe InDesign: page layout
Photoshop: basic editing
Instagram and Twitter: content creation and audience engagement
Photography: experience photographing protests, sports, animals, people, and architecture
AP Style: editing, application
Languages: English (native); French (proficient)